Tuesday, October 9

Please don't let there be a third


To be clear I'm not talking about Basic Instinct. I didn't care for the first one but the sequel was one of the most unintentionally funniest movies I ever saw.

No, my fear of the III is with reference to emergency calls.

I had gone 37 years without calling emergency. Now I've called twice in a week, and both calls were within a 1/2 mile radius of each other

Call #1
Last Wednesday I'm driving home late on Route 1 and I smell something burning. It's then I see a car facing the wrong direction near the Rt16 exit. There's tire tracks all over the place and smoke churning out of the hood of the car.

I realize I cannot slow down in time to offer assistance so I grab my phone and I've called emergency before I even see the Tobin.

Call #2
I'd just help run an errand in Revere, and was on Rt16 in Everett. I'm on the phone to Anne asking her what she wants for dinner when out of the corner of my eye I see an event that does not compute.

A big off-white soccer mom-mobile is barreling thru the light, and a cyclist is entering the highway real fast at 90°.

I don't remember who 'had' the light.

All I see is a cyclist fly through the air like a rag doll. His bike is a mangled mess, his helmet is 20 yards down the road, and 5 seconds later his shoes land on the sidewalk.

I think of the 'bit' Dane Cook does, and instantly regret liking him. Now I just think he's a prick.

I call 911 and get patched through to the state trooper. I explain I'm in Everett on Rt16, but I don't see a street sign and say I'm close to Dunkin' Donuts. The trooper says that's a perfect description and he hangs up.

A perfect description? There's probably 14 Dunkin' Donuts on that one road?

Within 20 seconds a woman has run out onto the road with one of those special neck brace stretchers. Who the hell has one of those laying around?

Fire, ambulance and cops show in less than 2 minutes. That's impressive. The guy's moving but he looks banged up real bad.

2 hours later and I'm scanning the news to find any information. Hope he's OK.

No comments: