Monday, June 2

Extras

Saturday on the train to New York I saw a blind Goth. I admired the young woman's commitment to her cause. It cannot be easy applying eyeliner and lipstick when you are blind (although Robert Smith of The Cure can see and his always looks shite). Sadly her Guide Dog was the usual Golden Lab - would have been good if she had dyed it black.

On Sunday I read Michael Tolliver Lives, the book from which Armistead Maupin read on Friday. Good easy read. A rare literary recommendation from me!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

First, maybe she wasn't actually goth? Goth fashion has become extremely popular in the mainstream in recent years (in all its various styles), and it's not unusual to see a mainstreamer who could get into a club that has rules on appearance. Also, even if she was goth--guide dogs schools give their students the dog that best suits their lifestyle. While a handler's preferences in appearance is considered, the trainers need to keep in mind the dog's personality and working style first and foremost. Maybe there were no black labs that were a good match for her at the time? Or maybe she requested a yellow lab--you don't have to have a black guide dog to be goth (I do, but I've always preferred black, even before becoming goth--but I was very lucky to get what I requested in a dog).

And another thing--just because someone has white, red, black, or some unnatural hair color and is wearing sunglasses (or even heavy meak-up) does not mean they're goth. Maybe she was punk, emo, or industrial? Also, having albinism isn't a prerequisite for being goth when you're blind. I'm curious; since you know of the Cure, did you happen to ask her about her music tastes? For example, was she a Sisters of Mercy or Faith and the Muse fan? VNV Nation? I could go on and on. Being goth is a bit more complicated than wearing black clothes (and no it's not all black--nor does wearing something black make you goth) and dark make-up.