Saturday, July 5

Pussy Galore

I was reminded recently of an event that Anne and I attended when we lived in London. One of my clients designed packaging for a well known brand of cat food, and as a consequence they had been invited to help out at a national cat show being held at Earl's Court.

My client asked me if I would pitch in, and I agreed for 3 reasons.

1. They remain the best bunch of people I ever worked for
2. Anne and I love cats
3. I find it hard to say, "no"

We showed up bright and early on the Saturday morning of the show and were handed 3 items to wear.

1. A bright yellow sweatshirt emblazoned with a massive logo of the brand.
2. A name tag
3. A flimsy piece of yellow card, that to my horror connected together to form a pair of cat ears.

For the next 2 hours Anne and I had to hand out leaflets inviting people to the tradeshow booth of our customer. Dressed in bright yellow.

I recall one moment when a crazy cat lady upon seeing Anne's name tag said, "My name is Anne too". Maybe in print that sounds OK, but it was delivered in a voice that said, "Will you be my bestest ever friend forever and ever?"

The job of handing out leaflets is best left to people with more self-confidence. We re-convened after an hour and strategized our exit plan.

For some reason we talked ourselves out of just throwing them away, and instead I came up with the genius plan of flushing the leaflets down the toilet.

And that is how I came to be stuck in a public restroom wearing paper cat ears, plunger in hand, urging the paper to "stop floating" and just go down the bowl. An event organizer asked if I was OK, and I had to make up a story that I didn't feel very well.

Eventually I just tore the leaflets up into little shreds and hid them in a bag. We snook out the best we could, which is not easy in yellow sweatshirts.

No comments: