Tuesday, October 4

An odd couple

Wakefield is the birthplace of 2 of the most influential sculptors of the last 100 years. Yet bizarrely during the few years I studied Design here, Sir Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth were never mentioned.

Today I visited my hometown's minimalist museum featuring Hepworth's work. The space is incredible. It reminded me of the Bauhaus museum in Berlin, but with fewer chain-smoking, wire-framed glasses wearing tosspots.

The galleries were filled with schoolkids with sketch-books, seniors with puzzled faces, and pseuds with stroked chins. As is the norm in these situations the Gift Shop is filled with fantastically buyable yet ultimately futile items. I bought several of them.

Well done Wakefield. Classy museum.



I couldn't help but notice one of the schoolteachers taking a class around was dressed pretty sexily considering her vocation. As I moved closer (purely for observational reasons) I realised she'd been dusted with douchiness.

"I'm not in the habit of repeating myself .." she started a twatty call to action for the kids.

Sadly, 20 seconds later she started another phrase with "I'm not in the habit of repeating myself ..". Moot.

No comments: