Monday, January 23

The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies

In the news today was the announcement of Gorden Kaye’s death. 

So I get to re-hash the story of my all-time career high.

For people who don’t follow 1980s low-grade British comedy, starring camp Nazis, Gorden Kaye played unlikely French wartime lothario René Artois in the BBC “comedy” 'Allo 'Allo.


The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies was one of several recurring jokes each week. 

Oh how we all … tittered back then.

My second job out of college lasted about 6 weeks. 

I worked for an ad agency who only advertised cars. Oh the glamor!

I managed to get myself a severe warning for an ad with the headline,
“A new G, way better than a good F.” 

My creative director should not have signed it off, and from that day on he was dead to me.

So I was surprised when only a week later he also approved my pièce de résistance - a dreadful radio ad I wrote for some crappy French car. 

Gorden adopting his comedy-gold French accent delivered the lines hammier than a pig eating a bacon sandwich wearing a West Ham scarf.

A week later I jumped ship!

No comments: