Friday, February 17

Thanks for showing us your kid's cock*

Today we decided to see if it was possible to view the lava ‘on foot’.

I use ‘on foot’ in dick quotes, because we had no intention of walking an 8 mile round trip in baking heat when we’d seen the marvelous lava up close the night before.

So it was super-cool to discover that a shuttle company would drive you 2 miles of the way and rent you a bike for the final 2 miles.

It was fun. The buggy driver was a good guy and the bike-riding was on a dirt road bisecting newly set jet-black lava for miles. We even passed sheds on stilts that were owned by people who lost their actual homes to the volcano 15 years ago.



I appreciate the safety but I would have been pissed to walk 8 miles for the photo below. Yes the white plume is the very same exploding rock-face we saw last night.


We were definitely spoiled by the previous night.


After a wonderful lunch (mahi-mahi BLT) we took a drive around Pahoa.


Much of the roads are tree covered and are beautiful.

We finished up at the Ahalanui Warm Springs. 


I could write a soap opera set here with all of the different characters on view. 

Hippies, hipsters, locals, swingers, swimming infants, sassy snorkelers, stone moving men, floating old women, God-botherers, hula-skirt woman with crawling baby were all on view.


Oh, and 4 modern parents (see title) appeared to share the responsibilities of one child who will grow up not knowing quite who dad is, but will have zero body issues!


* I placed an asterisk to remind myself of how often I shouted "cock" when I saw a road-side hen/rooster. I'm a child.

No comments: